Pope Benedict XVI’s
As most of us know already, Pope Benedict XVI will be here in the United States for a visit next week, starting on Tuesday, April 15.
In anticipation of that event, I thought I’d just leave a short sketch of his program while here; and, of course, links to better information.
There is a well-done official site for Pope Benedict’s visit. This site will include live streaming video of the events, provided by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
EWTN also has a site devoted to its coverage (from where I stole the image).
Pope Benedict has released a video message to Catholics and Americans explaining his hopes and purposes for the trip. His Holiness is a world-class scholar who speaks (I believe) 8 languages – not counting being able to read ancient Greek and Hebrew. Check out this message in English; the text can be found here.
Here’s the outline highlights of His Holiness’ visit:
- Tuesday, April 15 – arrival in Washington, D.C.
- Wednesday, April 16 – meet Pres. Bush at the White House; and a private prayer service at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- Thursday, April 17 – celebrate Mass at the Washington Nationals’ baseball park
- Friday, April 18 – address the United Nations in New York
- Saturday, April 19 – celebrate Mass for priests at St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- Sunday, April 20 – visit Ground Zero, site of the 9/11 Attacks; celebrate Mass at Yankee Stadium
Let us pray for his safety and for the success of of his visit.